Friday, May 16, 2008

Final Day of Work - Brandi Jones




The rain did delay the progress on the house today. We were inside trying to primer the walls, but it was so dark from the stormy skies that it was hard to see. George saw the need for some work lights and headed off the store to buy some.—George is amazing and before we knew it, he was back and we were all painting primer on the walls! The pictures from that day really capture how dark it was outside, due to the stormy weather. It was a very eventful day as along with trying to accomplish tasks on the house, we were able to meet the homeowner and her two children and have President Carter and Mrs. Carter come by and take photos with the volunteers and the homeowner. I was able to paint a room with Mary Bunch, homeowner, along with her daughter and son, Dominique and Rashad. They are an adorable family and it was great to get to know them. Dominique’s favorite color is pink and I told her I would send her something “pink” from California and her little face lit up and she ran over to her mom and said, “Mom, Miss Brandi is going to send me something pink from California!” She is just so cute! Her brother Rashad loves the color red and video games and he was such a gentlemen and helped us paint his sisters room! Mary gave me their address and our assistant house lead said that their mailbox will be put up by the end of the week, so I’ll be putting a package together from California for the kids!


Friday evening was fun as a few volunteers and our assistant house lead, Sarah, got together and had dinner at the Hard Rock CafĂ©. George’s cousins also came up and his cousin Cornelius brought us some homemade praline candy!---oh, my goodness, that candy is yummy!!!!! It was so nice of them to drive from New Orleans to Biloxi that night to see us before we left and bring us candy! J It was an amazing week and the dinner together was a perfect way to wrap up the week. I was so fortunate to meet such wonderful people and to forge new friendships!
I have been so honored all week long to be a part of something so extraordinary. I want to thank PG&E for this opportunity to be in Biloxi and for PG&E’s continued support of our local community. I also want to thank all my fellow co-workers in Redding for their continued generosity!!!—I would not have had an essay to write or pictures to send without all of you making all the local events possible! I am so honored and fortunate to work with all of you!


BRANDI JONES

No comments: