Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day Two of Work - Amber-Michele Douglas



Today was a very different day for me. I signed up for this build expecting to learn new things, meet new people and educate myself more on Habitat for Humanity. I believe on just day three I have accomplished this and much more. I have challenged myself on some many levels it is unbelievable. Today, I decided to join the roofing crew! Why I decided to do this on the HOTTEST day we have had so far is beyond me, but I did. I conquered my fear and climbed the ladder with the assistance of two kids from Americorp. I made sure I went potty before I went up because I was NOT in for the climbing up and down the ladder. I looked around and saw the other volunteers walking around as if we were casually walking on the beach. I initially asked other volunteers to explain my assignment to me in one spot and to also bring me my roofing supplies. As time went on, I decided it would be more efficient for me to get up and get my own supplies as I was installing shingles. To have to ask for each one would be a hassle and the other volunteers started ignoring me anyway! I started walking around and did not leave the roof until it was time to leave for the day! I was so proud of myself until it was time to get OFF THE ROOF… Today was also a great day because we were able to leave the jobsite ‘early’ and attend a Block Party in Pascagoula, MS. The block party combined all 2,000 volunteers from each site and gave us a chance to learn more about Pascagoula. The Mayor was so emotional in giving his speech I don’t think there was a dry eye in the place. He stated 95% of the city was buried and destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. The city is currently in the process of re-building.






AMBER-MICHELE DOUGLAS

No comments: