Saturday, May 10, 2008

Arriving in Biloxi - George E. Coaston, Jr.

Wow, what can I say? It is so amazing to be here in Biloxi, Mississippi, Working side by side with so many volunteers.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to have the chance to participate in such a worthwhile event. I have met so many people with a drive to help others with no reward other that helping someone else.

Well, here is what you have been waiting for. This is a short record of some of our activities.

On Saturday, I met the PG &E team. After arriving to Biloxi, we decided to drive to New Orleans to view that cities devastation. Upon arriving, we decided to visit my uncle’s home, so that I may show the group the damages and the repairs. To my greatest pleasure, we walked in to a family celebration. As I opened the door, I saw my mother standing in the room equally surprised to see our group. Today was the birthday party of my first cousin. My parents arrived earlier in the week to help my uncle work on his house and to attend their college reunion.


After eating our fill of Crawfish, Crabs, potatoes, corn, sausages and hand made pies, we headed to the lower ninth in New Orleans to see my Grandparents lots where their home used to stand. We also took time to visit other parts for the city. We viewed historical sites as well as feasted at Caf’e Du Monde on Beignets (French Doughnuts). We then viewed parts of the French Quarter then returned to Biloxi.


On Sunday morning, we retuned back to New Orleans to do some more site seeing and to visit one of my aunts. It was a great experience to have members of our company getting to know my family. After visiting for a while, we did some more touring and headed for our first official event for the Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Habitat for the Humanity Work Project. The reception was great. We meet in a sport field that the Salvation Army manages with huge tents and a state of the art broadcast system.

GEORGE COASTON

1 comment:

Sammi said...

What a nice treat to have a personalized tour guide!